Maria Theresa McCann
Tecumseh Skatepark Committee
September 26, 2012
Overview:As a parent, it concerns me when I see my children and other neighbourhood children riding skateboards in our driveways and on our busy streets because there is no safe place for them to skateboard.
The Tecumseh Community Policing Committee has recognized this need in our community and has created a sub-committee to fund raise and make this project a reality.
The Skatepark Committee has received support from many different members of the community:
1) Our local youth attended all of our pre-planning meetings and gave their input on features they wanted to see in the skatepark, as well as, attending Town of Tecumseh Council meetings;
2)Tthe Town of Tecusmeh Council is in favour of this project and has allocated land for the skatepark behind the OPP station;
3) The OPP officers have gone in front of Town Council to show their support and made a commitment to keep an extra eye on the park so our children are kept safe and the property is not damaged by graffiti.
4) A group of elementary students have organized a lemonade stand which they run during the summer in their neighbourhood to help raise money and awareness for the Skatepark.
5) A group of highschool students spent their summer volunteering at a concession stand at a local park selling snacks and beverages during the various sporting events and the proceeds were given to the Skatepark.
6) The Tecumseh Art of Eating committe gave us the opportunity during this summer's event to collect the empty wine bottles and return them to the local LCBO and we were given the proceeds of the returns.
We have been very blessed to have the community supporting this cause. The Town of Tecumseh is a great place to live and raise a family and we are excited to be able to add this feature to our small town and give our youth a safe and fun place to skateboard, rollerblade and bike.